Ahhh the start of Summer down under, is there anything better?
A few weeks ago I was lucky enough to experience the beginning of the warmer months in Australia, and couldn’t help but want to get outside with friends… and wine! And what other way is there to kick off summer than to have a sunset picnic? Balmy evenings where you can forget everything else except the company (and the drinks).
To celebrate the launch of their new, deliciously light Le Petit Rosé, Jacobs Creek invited me to embrace Summer the rosé way by creating an accessory for the perfect rose drenched Australian afternoon, with a touch of French Chic (care of this French style wine). Being a picnic lover from way back, I knew it would have to be a picnic basket, this time a slightly more modern take on a classic – the embroidered and colour blocked picnic tote. I made two because when it comes to picnics, more is definitely more. Right?
DIY Embroidered Picnic Tote
- A Basket tote bag (x 2)
- Acrylic paint and a paint brush
- An embroidery needle
- and wine cos… crafting should be fun! 🙂
1. Use a marker to sketch out the words you want to apply to your tote bag.
2. Thread your embroidery needle with ribbon.
3. Following the letters you marked, carefully stitch down the ribbon, using the straw of the bag to keep the letters in place.
4. To finish each word, knot the ribbon inside the bag.
5. Go over each word a second time if you want the letters to be heavier.
Colour Blocked Tote
1. Using a pencil, mark where you would like your paint to go on the bag.
2. Carefully apply the paint to the bag, making sure to paint in even strokes.
3. Fill in all the cracks and bumps of the bag, ensuring the top edge is straight and no straw shows through.
4. Allow to dry overnight.
Pair your new picnic totes with a delicious bottle of Le Petit Rosé, yummy treats and a jetty location on Australia’s version of the French Riviera… the Hawkesbury at Palm Beach! Talk about a dream.
Hmmmm how gorgeous is this jetty by the way? There are 792749 jetties in Palm Beach but I think this one takes the cake. Dawson’s Creek you got nothing on this! 🙂
On behalf of Le Petit Rosé I’d love to invite you to say ‘you, me, oui’ to Summer at the Rose Summer Social, presented by Jacobs Creek in Sydney, Sat Dec 3, 2016. You’ll get to enjoy complimentary rose at the Le Garden Party at an amazing harbourside mansion…. Sign me up! Head here for more details. Ps of you head over to the sign up page you’ll see a sneak peek of the next DIY we’ll she sharing soon….
In case you’re wondering, I’m back in Hong Kong now for a little bit, where the weather is cold and rainy. Looking back this gorgeous afternoon feels like a dream!
This post is in collaboration with Le Petit Rosé. Photos by Nicola Lemmon.