Let’s be honest, Christmas decorations and I haven’t always gotten along. Even though I’m not a minimalist per say, I can’t help but squirm when I am exposed to the riot of clashing colour and excess that seems to be the decoration approach of choice of most shopping malls. Don’t get me wrong, I love everything about Christmas, but sometimes wish there was a more subtle colour palette and elegance when it comes to decorations. Enter the Himmeli. A traditional decoration from Finland, this is something I came across a few years ago and loved for their simplicity, clean lines and somehow non-denomination feel (at least to me). Trust the scandos to totally nail the Christmas deco! The thing I love about these ornaments is that thankfully they’re not something you’ll want to hide as soon as the holiday season is over, chances are they’ll suit everything about your home all through the year. Finally, ornaments you can keep up whether it’s Christmas or Diwali!
- 12 brass tubes
- Leather cord or twine
1. Cut a piece of cord roughly 1 metre long (40 inches) . Start by threading three brass tunes onto your leather cord.
2. Tie the first three together into a triangle.
3. Add two more tubes to create a diamond shape.
4. Add one more piece of tube coming out to one side. Create one more of these shapes.
5. Place the tubes on top of each other and tie the points together.
6. Finish the shape by tying the loose tubes to the opposite corner.
Photos by Nicola Lemmon
Pin this DIY on Pinterest!