Feeling the Monday blues? This is sure to cheer you up! Although both sugar and coffee are things I view as a treat rather than for the everyday (I’ve become so responsible in my old age!), to celebrate my birthday which was on Saturday, naturally I’ve spent the last few days with friends, hanging out in the sun, eating cake and partaking in a few of these espresso martinis (my favourite drink at Limewood). After such a fun and decadent few days, I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a little sleepy. Could definitely do with a top up of sugar and caffeine. Although it’s probably time to go cold turkey… Not!
For the drink
- A shot of Rum
- A shot of espresso
- Half a shot of espresso Liqueur
- Salted caramel sauce for the rim
- Half a shot of Sugar syrup
Salted caramel sauce
- 1 cup of sugar
- 6 tablespoons of butter
- Half a cup of heavy cream
- A teaspoon of salt
To make your sauce
1. Heat the sugar in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly.
2. Sugar will melt into a thick brown liquid as you continue to stir. Be careful not to burn.
3. Once sugar is completely melted, add the butter. Stir the butter into the caramel until it is completely melted.
4. Very slowly, add the cream while stirring. Be careful of spattering!
5. To finish, stir in the salt.
To make your drink
1. Chill your glass with some ice.
2. In a cocktail shaker, add ice and the rum, espresso, syrup and liqueur.
3. Shake well for 3 seconds.
4. Empty the glass/jar of ice and then dip it into the caramel sauce and let is drip down the sides.
5. Add fresh ice to the glass and strain the drink in, making sure to get all the froth into the glass.
Thanks for having us Limewood – make sure to visit if you’re ever in Hong Kong!