DIY NO SEW BLANKET CAPE
17th December 2014
It’s getting to that time of year when getting out of bed is hard. I mean REALLY HARD. The snooze button starts to look pretty good every morning and all you want to do is wrap yourself in your blankets and never come out. Enter the blanket cape, the fashion set’s equivalent of the snuggie (although let’s be honest, the latter wins hands down always). This style was seen all over the AW15 runways, most noticeably at Burberry where they were precariously thrown over the shudders. Kinda like the jacket as cape trend, but hey an actual cape! The best thing about this piece of clothing is that it’s insanely do-able in an at home sense, and so here we show you how.
Wearing: DIY Cape, Grana Tee, Whistles jeans, Asos boots, Dylan Kain bag
- 3 m (3.3 yards) of blanket fabric like a thick cotton or jersey.
- Tape Measure
1. At the edge of your fabric, cut a piece of fabric 5cm wide (2 inches), this will serve as your belt later on.
2. Take your piece of fabric and fold it in half.
3. Along the folded line, cut to approximately halfway.
5.This is what the bottom half it will look like after you have unfolded the fabric.
6. Now we’re going to cut the belt holes in the front. To do this put the cape on and mark where your waist is, which is what you want the belt to wrap around. Then measure 30cm (12 inches) away from the central split on each side in line with where you marked your waist. You can see the slits cut below.
7. Now take your belt fabric and from pull it through the two slits you create. This is how it should look. When you put it on, the waist fastening will sit behind you so that you can tie it around your waist and create the right shape.
Outfit photos by Nicola Lemmon