DIY LEATHER HANGING PLANTER (MAKES THE PERFECT GIFT!)
10th November 2014
If you’ve been following for a while you’ll be all over the fact that my current approach to decoration is, technically speaking, ‘put a plant on it’. I’ve applied the concept at the studio, and at home (to a lesser degree) and I can honestly say that it works. Who doesn’t want to live in a jungle (or a desert – depending on what type of plants you’re into)? We recently got crafty with some leather we had in the studio and created this planter with our friends over at Free People. If you plan ahead a little this planter could be the perfect gift for your bestie or plant addicted hipster boyfriend. Naturally you’ll be wanting to use a substitute for leather if said boyfriend is a vegan.
- A piece of leather or vegan leather
- A metal Ring
- 2 x long screws and bolts
- Multi hole punch
- Plant Pot
1. On the back of your leather, mark out 4 pieces of 1.5cm wide x 65cm long pieces of leather strips and then cut into strips.
2. Take your hole punch and punch a hole over the points you have marked.
3. With the back side of the leather facing up, lay the pieces out in a cross so that the holes match up and add the screw underneath.
4. Cut a piece of leather 1.5cm wide x 8cm long and then mark 1cm from the edge on both ends.
5. Hole punch over the 2 marked positions and then take your piece of leather and fit it though the metal hoop
6. Create the same cross section on the other end of the strips of leather and insert the screw through the holes.
7. This is what the top section should look like.
8. Hold the top section in one hand and lay out the base of the planter like so.
Place your plant pot into place. And you’re done.