When it comes to DIY inspiration, Dolce & Gabbana never fail to provide a cornucopia. Season after season their intricate collections inspire me to get crafty, the detail in their jewellery, handbags and shoes alone is enough to have me rushing to my local craft store for supplies. And don’t even get me started on the clothes! This season the pair were inspired by the Greco – Roman history of Sicily, and depicted that in (amongst other things) layers of coin embellished accessories. Bags, shoes, oversized necklaces and indeed earrings all got fiscally embellished – and I loved it! I thought what better way to pay homage to my recent outgoing financial commitments (ahem, studio rent…) than to craft a pair of coin earrings. Hoping wearing coins on my ears helps them stay in my pockets!
This was the inspiration from the show (aren’t the flowers in the hair to die for?).
- 10 gold coins
- 2 gold floral discs
- earring posts
1. Start by laying out your earrings as shown below.
2. Add a jump ring to the bottom of one of the gold discs.
3. Put a coin onto the jump ring and close it. Do the same for two more coins, making sure to evenly space them.
4. Add a jump ring to the centre of the top (make sure it is directly in line with the middle coin at the bottom).
5. Add two coins to the top jump ring and close it. One you do that you can flip one of the coins up.
6. Using the skewer, add some glue to the base of the post.
7. press onto the back of the flipped up coin and let it dry overnight.