Sometimes life is so much better when it’s a little colourful, wouldn’t you agree? A while ago I stumbled upon Australian brand Lovestar and fell head over heels with their bright, sparkly aesthetic encompassed in perspex neon items for the home, and knew they would be the perfect centrepiece to a lacklustre bookcase. In addition to the amazing heart shaped vases (which I SO need in my life) I particularly love their neon frames filled with confettti, so you can probably guess how excited I was when Lovestar founder Helen offered to show us how to make a simple confetti filled frame. The ultimate hand made holiday gift and perfectly timed for those of you who like to get started on your early, so long as you can avoid the temptation to shake shake shake for long enough to give it away!
- A frame – pick the size and colour of your choice. We’re using a simple white glass frame. Make sure you choose a frame that has some depth so the confetti has space to move around.
- Guillotine or simply a sharp pair of scissors
- Several different colours of tissue paper. Including a metallic colour will give your confetti a bit of interest. We’ve used silver.
1. The first step is to create the confetti. You can make any confetti shape your heart desires. We’ve used angular shapes as they’re fast and super easy to make. You don’t need to be too fussy. Different sizes are fine. If you have a guillotine, use it to cut through several layers of tissue. If not, just start cutting angular shapes from your tissue paper. Try to keep the size of the confetti proportionate to the size of the frame. If you’re using a tiny frame, make sure the confetti size is small as well.
2. After you’ve finished, have a quick look through your confetti to make sure you haven’t missed any big bits.
(Arranging them in a heart shape and instagramming is optional but suggested…)
4. It’s always lovely to personalise your frame with something. We’re using one of our screen printed hearts. Stick your image down firmly onto the backing provided with the frame. You can use glue but double sided tape is better.
5. Place your confetti into the open side of the frame (glass down).
6. Secure the back piece (that will have your image on it) onto it.
7. Once the frame is securely closed, give it a good shake and you’re done!
Make sure to head over and check out the gorgeous pieces at Lovestar.