Chain is one of my favourite materials to work with, perfect for this season’s love affair with grunge. The best thing about using chain in your projects is that it can be added in so many simple ways, be it a handmade necklace for that ghetto chic touch, or delicate chain sewed to a tee for something a little more subtle. I recently took some time to get a little crafty with some curb chain, read on to see how you can do the same!
- a pair of simple flats
- half a metre of curb chain
- super glue
- a needle and thread matching your flats
1. Start by measuring how much chain you will need for each flat. When you have worked that out, separate what you need by using pliers to open the chain at the appropriate link.
2. Thread your needle and tie a knot in the end. Lay the chain on top and sew the end to the strap by sewing through the leather and back around again.
3. Once one end is attached, cover the underside in glue.
4. Press it down onto the leather strap and then sew the other end of the chain down. Repeat for the other flat and leave overnight to dry.
Photos by Monika Kolon