DIY STATEMENT ROPE NECKLACE
22nd August 2013
Perhaps I was a french sailor in a past life but anything nautical feels so right to me. My closet is filled up to the brim with everything striped and I wouldn’t have it any other way. The addition of a little bit of rope to an already sea faring outfit could be a cliche, but what can I say, it just works. AND when that rope has a little bit o’ sparkle? Well let’s be honest it’s one of those horse and carriage situations.
- Cotton rope
- Scissors (love these)
- Some sort of statement crystal embellishment (you can get one here)
- 2 end caps
- 2 jump rings
- a lobster clasp
- jewelry tools
- thread matching your rope
- a needle
Or you can buy the kit here.
1. Start by cutting your rope to size and then putting some glue into the end caps.
2. Press the rope end into the end cap.
3. Leave to dry overnight.
4. Line up the leaf charm in the centre of the necklace.
5. Thread your needle and tie a knot on the end. Line up the needle with the end of the charm.
6. Sew through the hole and back again, securing the charm and the rope together.
7. Take the thread back through and continue to sew the charm onto the rope, passing through the rope each time so it is nice and secure.
8. Once you get to the end, pass through the eye and to the back of the rope.
9. Knot and trim the thread.
10. Finally, open a jump ring and add a lobster clasp.
11. Secure with plyers to one eye on the end cap.
12. Add a jump ring to the other end cap to complete the necklace.
Imagery by Sabrina Sikora.