DIY BALENCIAGA INSPIRED RUFFLE SKIRT
15th January 2013
This was the runway inspiration, I decided to go for a white ruffle lined with black as opposed to the black ruffle lined with white seen on the runway – feel free to mix it up depending on what you like.
- A simple black skirt
- 1m (approx 1 yard) of white cotton fabric
- 1m (approx 1 yard) of black cotton fabric
- Dressmakers Scissors
- Black and white thread
- A Sewing machine
- Measuring tape
1. Cut your skirt into an asymmetric style (shorter on one side than the other). You can go quite short of the shorter edge (almost to your underwear line) because you are going to be adding the ruffled piece which will cover you.
2. Take your measuring tape and measure the edge of the asymmetric hem of the skirt all the way around.
3. Using the method I showed you here in the fluted hem skirt tutorial, create two circular hem pieces in both black and white.
4. Pin the two black and white ruffled hem pieces together.
5. Sew the two together on the outside edge.
6. Turn inside out and the iron flat.
7. Pin the inner edge of the donut to the skirt with the white on the outside and the black on the inside (or vise versus if you perfer).
8. Sew along the hem and then sew along the edge with the zig zag stitch to reduce fraying.
Outfit photos by Su Ann Tan