DIY DOLCE & GABBANA INSPIRED LACE SKIRT
26th November 2012
I recently made this super cute black and gold lace mini skirt inspired by the Dolce & Gabbana AW12 collection as the second piece in my holiday season wardrobe. So incredibly simple to make and, if you happen to be in the norther hemisphere, perfect worn with tights with a wool coat over the top as you go between (a multitude of) party venues.
Who else to inspire holiday season party attire than Dolce & Gabbana?
- 2m of black lace (I chose some embossed with gold flowers) .
- Black elastic to fit your waist
- Black thread
- A sewing machine or a little bit of time to sew by hand.
Clicky click below to read the tutorial
We are going to make a super simple maxi skirt to start with using an elastic waistband, I’ve done it numerous times on this blog so you should be familiar by now.
1. Cut the fabric to size, roughly maxi length. And then fold over the top edge to create the casing for the waistband.
2. Using your sewing machine or by hand, sew along the edge of the doubled over fabric to secure the waistband casing. Do this for the whole length of fabric.
3. It should look like this.
4. Thread your elastic through the casing. To do this I usually sticky tape one end of the elastic to a chop stick or knitting needle and push it through – not very chic but does the trick!
5. Sew the elastic together to create the waist, and then sew the long seam (the vertical one) together and the hole in the waistband shut.
6. Starting from the side seam, pull the bottom hem of the fabric up and secure it with one handstitch just below the seam of the waistband. Do this 4 or 5 times all the way around so that you pull the skirt up to mini length with a bubble style hem. You want to make sure the pulled sections sit evenly at the front.
Because this skirt can be a little sheer, it’s perfect for a holiday party with friends, as opposed to a corporate party with all your work colleagues and that sleazy dude from the marketing/IT/sales department. To make it a little more work appropriate you could also pop a short black slip underneath, or a bodysuit. I think I’ll wear this to a party next week and belt it with a wide leather belt – simple!
Wearing: DIY Skirt, Country Road top, Zara heels, Karen Walker Sunglasses.