DIY BRIGHTLY LINED LACE MINI SKIRT
2nd February 2012
– A white lace mini skirt (here or here). A pencil skirt would also look good!
– Some bright coloured jersey fabric – use any colour you like!
– A needle and thread
– A Sewing Machine (optional)
1. Lay the skirt over the top of the jersey fabric to work out how long you need the tube skirt.
2. Cut out the fabric in the shape of the skirt, cutting a piece that is double the hip width of the skirt (so you can fold it in half and sew one seam to create a tube).
3. Fold the fabric in half.
4. Sew the edges together to create a tube – you can hand or machine sew.There will probably be a zip somewhere in your lace skirt – back or side, so leave an opening in the seam of your tube for the zip.
5. Put the skirt on and slip the tube over the top of the lining but under the lace – orientating the seam of the jersey tube to the seam of the zip
6. Push the tube carefully between the fabric all the way to the edges of the waistband and zip and pin in place. You want none of the original lining to be showing through.
7. Take the skirt off and carefully hand stitch the coloured jersey lining in place along the waistband and down the sides of the zip.
Voila! You should have completely covered the original lining with the coloured tube skirt. I didn’t have much problem with riding up of the jersey lining – make your tube skirt quite tight to stop this happening.